Friday, August 1, 2008

Day 33- Palas de Rei-Arzua- 38km Left! WOW!

So yeah, almost there. Wow. Anyways, about the day.
Well we got up early this morning. Only 6:30 today. Left by 7. Cesar and kate left by 20 to 7. We said we would meet up with them later. So we had a yogurt, and a croissant, dad said he had two, but he was still sleeping, haha. No rain today, nice and cloudy for the morning though. Kind of a boring hike until coffee stop. For brunch, we had a coke and a Kas Limon, and also we both had a HUGE bocadillos, which is a large piece of bread with a large omelette, with either ham or chesse on it. Dad had the ham, I had, yes you guessed it, the cheese. Right when we got there, kate and Cesar were leaving. It seemed like a gathering of Canadians there because Kate and Cesar were there, and us, and this gay(?) vancoverite, and three ladies from Halifax. So we kept on walking, through beautiful trees, and woodland. The cedar and chestnut trees were over taken by large eucaliptus trees, they were very big. After walking around 5km per hour, really fast according to dad, we had to make a stop, after walking 5km. Dad had not had his coffee yet, so he needed it. I had a coke, and we opened up our chocolate bars we had bought the previous afternoon. After that wonderful break, we continued into the woodland. We passed a very raunchy smelling pig farm, had to breath through my mouth the whole time, because I did not want to smell it, I would rather taste it. NOT! After passing that nasty place, we met up with Cesar and Kate. I have taught Cesar the best song in the world. "I am cow" by the Arrogant Worms. Very good, listen to it if you can. After teaching him it, he has started to sing it aloud with me, but while he is alone with Kate, he sings it to real cows. He did that today. Stopped and sang it to the cow. So we met up with them, and we were kinda looking forward to the Albequerque by then. Oh, side note, we have been thinking about doing something special for the last 20km, and I thought of something. Since Cesar just learnt a new song, we should sing I am cow all the way to Santiago, for 20km, but, I don´t think Kate and dad would like that. Dad´s idea was, first one to see Santiago would get carried the rest of the way into it, so I said I would stay at least 500m ahead of them the whole day, just so I could get carried in. Anyways, the terrain was going up and down and up and down, much to the chagrin of dad and kate, who have the sore legs. WE got to the Albequerque, and there was a line up, so we decided to walk another 3 km to Arzua, where we found a very nice albequerque, or I should say, kate and cesar found it. For dinner tonight, we had the best meal yet. Rice with fresh veggies, pork, and scrambled eggs, with again two bottles of wine and a two liter bottle of coke, which is still sitting on the table. AND NO DESSERT!!!!!!! whats with that, we will have to get that later. Anyways, I feel that I have typed in a different style that I usually do today, hopefully it is good. Only 2 days left, tomorrow is 18km and the day into Santiago is 20, nice and easy. Well I miss all my family and I can´t wait to go to holland, bye bye.
Lift your eyes unto the hills......
-Jakob
heres dad
I read psalm 121 at dinner tonight. It got me all choked up, just listen:The LORD watches over you. For more thasn four weeks he has.There has been nothing seriously wrong with Jaokob or me. But also ,The Lord is your shade at your right hand. When you will see us you may notice that we are mostly tanned at the LEFT side!! The sun will not harm you by day. Even though it has been very hot on the meseta, no harm was done to us. The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forever more. We are coming to the end of this hike, and it has become a bit of a metaphor of our lives. We ´walk everyday, knowing that God is walking beside us and watching over us. I will never read that Psalm the same way again.

Klaas

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys
It is so cool to hear you discribe the path and I can picture it all. Especially those eucalyptus trees. I did not expect to find them in Spain. One sure learns a lot from travelling. My hat off to both of you. And yes, Psalm 121is very fitting for this adventure. Enjoy your visit in Santiago. I hope they do the censor swinging thing in the cathedral. They did on the day we went to the service. Keep those sore legs going and enjoy the sound of the Santiago airport as you walk by.

PS Those pigs may stink but they taste pretty good!

Thea

Anonymous said...

Jakob & Klaas,
I, too, enjoyed your personal experience of Psalm 121...from the LIVING WORD....awesome.
Almost there....what a 'day of rejoicing that will be'!
Weather is great in Smithers on this long weekend...BC Day.
stay cool,
gloria

Anonymous said...

Hey klaas en Jakob

Well next week we will se each other again. Renske cant wait to go to the airport again.We are just home for one night and where of to the camping again.

Keep walking and we will see you next thursday.

Anonymous said...

hey u2, just ginna hit da hay, but hey, Then Lord will watch over your coming and going, both now and forever... Awesome psalm. He will not let your foot slip,...
hey only 38 clicks, so sweet. enjoy the last little bit. Garrett fingers that u2 have to walk back 9clicks, just to get the other 18 that u took a bus for. Hey that burger Jakob, well what can i say, maybe nasty, oh well. I am ginna rinse my blue and yellow hair, for the soccer turni, then go to bed. Happy trekking, and yes Alex make it from Vernon with 7 others, all sleeping here, and bacon and eggs for breaky. Hey have a good one and God bless, take take, love u2 round my yellow and blue hair. Have scads of fun these last few clicks. song: Unto the hills I lift my eyes.
trish