Monday, July 28, 2008

Day 29- O´cebrero-Tricastela- 143km left

Last night I called laura, was good to hear her voice again, and felicity´s. Umm, had an amazing sleep because of the ear plugs, again. Woke up once, and there were lots of people snoring, so I just stuck my ear plugs in again, yes they fell out, and I could not hear anything. So today was only a 21 km hike, not bad. It was very beautiful again. We had a little bit of a climb, nothing much, but we could see soo much. Dad got a cool picture, and I got a lot of pictures also. I have only 270 left, I can take over 60 a day for the last few days of hiking if I wanted too, but I won´t. Anyways, we were going to stop at the first town, but there were no Bars, so we stopped at the second one, along with our South African friend, Nick, and the English guitar playing dude. took a bit of a break there because it was our first. But after that, we kept on walking, or should I say hiking. There was also one part, where we had a very very steep climb, and I have to say, the person who put that bar right at the very top, was a very smart person, because I think every peregrino that came up that hill stopped there. So only 6km left till Tricastela. We were walking down a rocky hill when I almost, very nearly, sprained my ankle, still is a bit sore, but thats ok, comes with the hike I guess. Even if I had sprained it badly, I would have finished the hike. Anyways, we are here now, in a very nice albequerque, it is a 2 star one, free internet, a TV, nice beds, lots of bathrooms, just over all nice. Ooohhhhhh... I forgot to mention something, while we were hiking along, we were getting really hungry, and we were both talking about it when all of a sudden, BAM!! there was this little old lady with 2 crepes, Creeps, for us. She charges us 2 euros for them, but hey, they were a snack. It was awesome.
So dad is sleeping right now, or reading a book or something. Tonight for supper we are going to have Pankakes, and mom, I decided for our home coming meal, I am not going to cook, I want Creeps, ok?? Well tis all for today folks. Only 6 days of hiking left, scary thought. I want it to be over, kinda, and at the same time I don´t want it to end. WHAT DO I THINK!!!!!! ah well, it will end when it ends. Everyone, have a good day, and you better leave alot of comments, to make up for yesterdays post.
Tut, tut, it looks like rain
-Jakob
Just to add to the story of the lady with the creeps (pancakes)we had just been discussing how we might have to go hungry all the way to Tricastela, since there were no other major towns coming up, and we had just finished talking about that when Jakob said: ¨"i smell food", and POP, there she was. We got a picture of her of course, and she even knew a few words of English. Amamzing.
There was a huge line up at the municipal alberge, but we had already decided we were going to stay at the one we are at now. It´s very peaceful, we are the only two guests. And somehow, it was makerket day again, people selling clothes, watches, fruit and toys on the street, and inevitably at the end the food stands where the women cook up big pots full of squid (pulpa) and everyone else each it with generous helpings of bread, cheese and wine. They actulally cut the squid´s tentacles with scissors into bite size peaces. I haven´t had the guts yet to try soen myself, though it´s supposed to be good.
Anyway, Jakob was a bit depressed: "When we get here so early, I don´t know what to do and I get bored". So I convinced him to fill out some postcards we still needed to mail, and then to go buy some stamps and stuff for tomorrow. I almost hadf to drag him along, but right now he is very happy I did, because when we got to the store we ran into Kate and Cesar, two people Jakob befriended along the way and whom we had kind of lost. He´s gonna hang out with them for a bit tonight, while I go and sit on the bench infront of the albegue and read what is turning out ot be a cool book: The Egyptologist, by Arthur Phillips, 5 time Jeopardy champion.
By the way, the pancakes were okay, not like Trsih´s of course, but what can you expect from a pakkie, add water only! However, the wine was good. Thea, you´re right you either become a catholic or an alcoholic on this hike, and a catholic I ain´t.
Trish, we miss you and love you, hang in there!!!
Klaas.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey u2, yep got over the CanRef Gestapo, I shall use the call display next time. Pannacakes, or creeps, well at least it was somepin different. Jakob do not sprain ur ankle, cuz then u have to bus it, and u ain't allowed cuz every pilgrim HAS to walk the last 100 clicks, so easy does it sonny. So how r Kate and Ceasar? Legs fine? No blisters? We have another beauty day today, megga rain, we need it badly. Even have puddles for the birds, and the weeding is easier! Hopefully all people camping took huge tarps along,haha. Only a few days left, enjoy them also, and don't loose dem earballplugs. Happy walking, hiking, climbing, no anklespraining, creep eating and wine drinking, have one for me too, yep the whole bottle, and do not pour one little swallow down the cork. God bless, take care
trish

Anonymous said...

hey u2, I splurged today, I put the furnace on, it was a nit bipply in here. Saw a huge bull moose, he was lying beside the firepit by the barn, nice rack man. I'm off to bed, talk to u2 tomorrow. Love u round a nice warm house
trish

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys
Sorry, but I've been out of the loop for a few days. The wedding has kept me hopping, not the wedding as much as the fact that I have been hosting the whole Ewald clan for the past week and what a crew. Anyway, Kerri is married, had a nice day and a great time as a family. I knew you would enjoy the hilly/mountainous stretch beyond Villafranca and I know exactly which bar/cafe Jakob is talking about. What a welcome sight it was! Hugo and Wilma are in town. Spoke to them on Sunday. Have had a mixed bag of weather for the past few days, even wore my poncho hiking yesterday. Anyway, keep up the amazing speed. You will certainly have bragging rights when you get home. Best wishes
Thea
PS Watch that ankle twisting!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are on your final stretch and the end is in sight! Way to go!!! Thanks for all that interesting reading!

Best wishes and God bless!

Joern.

Anonymous said...

hey u2,good to hear ur voice this morn yep, i just finished supper, and shall check out the fire, yep, therapy. So tomorrow mayhaps u'll get internet, sweet, then we can know as to far u walked, and how far u have to go. Not much left for walking, hopefully ur shoes r still made for walking, cuz obviously, that's just what they'll do. And please leave dem nasty, smelly, wornout shoes in Holland. buy some sloffies. hey u2 happy trekking and hiking, and eating pannacakes, and drinking wine. Say hi to that Belgian dude, tell him I miss him. Oh Klaas, I can hear those nins singing, totally rad man!!!!!. Hey u2 love u round the fire that is still burning. God bless.
trish
ps. sing: Wij zijn daar bij naar, maar nooch niet helemal.
pps. hi Barb
ppps. hi theas, and gloria
ppps. hi uncle rebecca, uncle julia, uncle emily
pppps. Klaas and Jakob: Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name: make known among the nations what he has done.......

Anonymous said...

klaas, I meant, nuns, and not nins.
sorry
me