Sunday, July 13, 2008

Day 14, Burgos, 1.7km, 504km left

So here we are again. 1 km closer to our goal. It felt good to take a break, especially with my leg the way it felt. Slept well in our little hotel, till about 8:30. which is amazing considering we are used to getting up at about 5:30. Took thwe opportuinty to repck my pack. The swelling on my ankle had gone done a bit, but stiil tender. Fortunately no hijking today, a day of rest, appropriately on a Sundat too. Thea and Betty left at about 6:00 this morning, we will miss them. After we checked out we went to our main goal of the day, the cathedral. Ill let Jakobt alk about that some more. Let it suffice to say that we sopent about an hour and a half in there and never saw anything twice. And how many organs: 3, 4, no six organs. six in one building. When we were done we looked for a place to eat, since we had not had any breakfast, We got lucky they had birds in a nest on the menu.
Jakob wanted to take soem pics from the castle on the hill, so I just stayed by the cathedral and had a nother coffee with wat erbij. So cool to see all those people walking by having a grand old time. Many families too, just spending time togther. We culd learn something from the Spanish when it comes to that.
We ran into one of Jakobs friends from Spain, Salva the pharmacist who is learning English fast. I showed him my leg and he confirmed it is tendonitis. He gave me the cure too, rest, cream and a brace. So when we saw a pharmacy not too far from there we got the stuff we needed and Iam good to go tomorrow. It is a short stretch, only 19 km so all should be well. Now if I can only get along with Jakob since we have nonone else with us anymore. Should be fin though, hes already running into new pilgrims from Canada, Switzerland and Germany. See you tomorrow.
Foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests¨but the Son of Mam has no place to lay his head .quote from the guide book stage 13.
Klaas.
Alright, now it is my turn.
Well after saying good bye to Mrs. Ewald and Betty dad and I watched some tv, Womens water polo Spain vs Russia, but after 10 mins we said good night and fell asleep. I had an amazing sleep, on a nice bed with good blankets. Woke up at about 9. Today dad and I wanted to visit the Cathedral. I had already gotten some good pictures yesterday, but they were from outside, today was the insides turn for a photo shoot. So the first thing we did was make our way to the Cathedral. The first thing I said when I walked in was "wow" The first room we went in was the Relics room, it was very large, and the celing was amazing. So much detail. Dad and I both decided that nothing in the church was made the same, besides the patterns of things, but all the engraving in the walls, and on the wood of the chairs and such, nothing was the same. Yesterday we had gone in a chapel that we were not allowed in, but lots of peopel we doing it, and we had seen an organ. Today we saw 5 more organs, like wow. And they were all fairly large also. FIVE organs, thats crazy. The stain glass that is in that place is just unbelievable. But I have to say, the thing was just to big to get one good picture of the whole thing, so I took a whole lot of little ones, but it is still not as good as seeing it in person.
As my dad has said I went up to the castle to get a good picture of the cathedral. That was alot of steps to get up there, probably a few hundred steps. But once I was up there, it was beautiful, the size of the cathedral compared to the whole city is crazy. It is sooooooooo big. I got some nice pictures, but it made me mad because there was a crane, machine crane, right infront of the cathedral, but I took pictures anyways.
So after going down the stairs and meeting up with dad, we were about to leave when Salva came and said hi to dad and I. Dad asked him what he could do about his shin and ankle, and Salva told him, in very good english I might add. Salva has had only one year of lessons in english and the rest he has learned on the trail. Very good.
So we are here now, 1.7 km away from the cathedral and we are only doing 19 km hike tomorrow. Probably good thing for dad. My body is just feeling perfect and there is only 20 stages. to go, hehehe. I have met a few english speaking people. One Swiss, who is from switzerland, no duh, and a French Canadian, from Quebec, who is in the Army as an infantry soldier, and a german boy is the same age as I am.
Well, that is all I am going to write today. I am going to say hi to ceaser and Kate, if you guys read this, hope you are having a good time. Also Mrs. Ewald and Betty, hope you had a good bus ride to where ever you were going, and have a good rest of the hike.
Again I thank all of you for the comments. We will keep you updated on dads ankle and shin.
"When in doubt, follow the perigrinos" My quote.
Jakob

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there

Wow not many comments today til now on. Good to hear you have had a great day good hear you liked the cathedral. Next time see one in the Uk they are all over the pace there so Jakob next year come with me to England.
I bought your tickets for the Ajax tournament. Two tickets for saturay the 9th of august. Games are staring on 19.00 the first one and the second one at 21.15(thats the ajax game. You are sitting behind the goal at the second level if you go to the ajax site you can look it up sectione 127.
Tickets are lucky for you a bit cheeper onluy 56 euro for the two off you.
Mind you to ask opa to give you a key because you are not inthe house before midnight.

Have fun overthere and keep walking but thake it easy (klaas)

Anonymous said...

Jakob,
Enjoyed reading about the cathedral and your relaxing Sunday....very appropriate.

This is what Thea wrote me: "All is well. Moved 300 km by bus today. A wonderful rest for my poor feet. Tomorrow we go 25 km over a mountain range."

So it seems all of you had a nice break from walking before continuing on your journey.
stay cool, gloria

Anonymous said...

Just came home from a gezellige supper with Trish and a big fire. We are having a good time here, and are talking about you a lot. Take it easy for a couple days. Truus

Anonymous said...

Hey u2, I cannot imagine achurch that big, WOW!!!! Klaas did u at least try to play one of dem organs???? Come on, chance of a life time. So Thea and Betty are busing it, how niet gezellig is dat nou weer? Well maybe u will have to too. Hows the leg? Hopefully feeling much better. hey if u have to, take the bus voor en poosjie, give it a rest already. So Jakob, megga pics eh? Good for you, to bad about that crane, but hey ^^^^^^ happens. So now really u2 r on ur own. Well hey enjoy, meet udder people, speak a little dutch, german, or spanish, finish, chinese, whatever. Or yell: bek houwe, however one spells that. Glad to hear that u2 had a rest, now u2 can go on again, the rest of the story, I mean pilgramage. We had church, inside, unlike u2. Twas good. Hey u2 love u round the fire that we had tonight. Have a good one.

ps. Eilko, belle me voor the list. groeten

pps. hi all the uncles in smithville

ppps, hi thea in london
trish

Anonymous said...

A small message in behave of your (o)pa and (oma) Miny. They read everyday your adventures in Spain and enjoys them a lot. It's sorry to hear that you Klaas have problems with your leg. Still hope you both finish your wonderfull challenge.

Love,(o)pa and (oma) Miny