Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day 21 El Burgo Ranero-Mansilla De Las Mullas-Leon 326.1km left!!

today we do 2 days in one day. We woke up at around 6:00am. Nice and late. The night before dad had bought stuff for breakfast and such because there were no towns in between.So out the door we went, and wouldn´t you know it, the bar down the road was open. So we walked in and we ordered a coffee and a Cola Coa, and we also got a free package of Oreo cookies!!!!!! What a great start to the day, but we knew we had a long day ahead of us. So we started walking. The first part wasn´t bad because it was nice and cool. Again today we walked by moon light, but while walking, we saw the most beautiful Sun rise I have ever seen, got 6 pictures of it. it was amazing. The sun was a perfect circle, very cool. The moon was still up while the sun was up. So the heat began. As you know, today was only a 18.9km day, but it was all beside the road and there were no little towns in between, so it made for a very long day. We stopped three times. I have to say that dad was just givin´ it today, he was going faster than I was going. I looked up and he was way ahead of me. So we got to Mansilla De Las Mullas as around 10:45am! Quick hiking dad! We started to look for the bus station, because last night I had a brain wave.... it is a short day today so we may as well take the bus to LEon right away today! what a good idea! So dad and I started looking and gues who we met?!?!?!?! Fiona, she had left us a few days back to go pick up a parcel that her hubby had sent, but it wasn´t there, so yesterday she hike in the evening, she said it was really long. But yes, we met up with her while she was walking to the bus station to go to Leon. So we have just spent the last 2 and a half hours sitting and talking and drinking coke and coffee. Dad went for a little walk, and fiona and I talked. So tomorrow we rest...YESSS!!!!!!!!!!! Can´t wait. only 13 days of hiking left!! hehehehe, here we come mountains. heres dad.
There really is not much to add about today, so heres just a bit about yesterday. i fianally managed to figure out how to use the public phone to make an international call, so it was the first time in almost 3 weeks that I got to talk to Trish. Hi Trish, it was great to hear your voice. Everyone else, make sure you give her a call once in a while, but not too often.
The other thing was the wonderful dinner we had yesterday (not). Weiners in the microwave with ketchup and, yes Laura, Kraft singles!. Yuk, so we washed it down with a whole bottle of Rioja wine, and we both agreed that I have the wifest nicest in the whole Canada. Slee pwas good, except for the annoying American lady (sorry Gloria) who spent about 45 minutes putting stuff in her pack, and it seemed it was all in plastic bags.
There is another mystery. We both go to bed with two earplugs in our ears, but Jakob usually wakes up with only one left, and the other is nowhere to be found, no matter how hard we look (mostly in the dark). TTFN

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jakob & Klaas,
It's a day of rest here today too.
My, you keep moving right along!
That Am. could have been me...just ask my long-trip travel friends. I tend to repack every day except I do it at night before I sleep...and, yes, plastic bags keeps all my stuff neat & tidy :-)
stay cool
gloria

Anonymous said...

Way to move ahead but the bus to Leon??? What is going on? Anyway, betty and I have passed the Santiago airport, by accident I might add. We missed the Albergue in Arca Lo Pino and then had to walk another 8 km to find a hotel. My poor feet, but tomorrow will be an easy 10 km walk into Santiago. All is well and yes I am managing to keep up to Betty. She just never stops for a rest.

Keep up the courage.
Thea

TBH said...

Oh, oh Jakob has a stash of earplugs going down his ear canal.... wonder where they will end up??
The Other Thea (London ON, soon to be York ON)

Anonymous said...

hi from Lorna,neighbour

Anonymous said...

hey u2. So u met up with Fiona again, sweet, now that I know the rest of the Shrek story. Anywho, we had an awesome day in Houston, yep slaa had a uplifting, uprejoicing, upchristian, upnonotbeat,{can't cuz of the organ} upinspiring, up..... well what can I say, just a good sermon on Ps 103. The comment from Lorna, I helped her with, she will read the blogs and comment later. So now you can sing another song.........Oh where oh where are my earplug now, oh where can it be? Or of course you can sing: I wake up in the morning and I brush, I mean, crap I have to find dat plug thingie. Guess what Jakob???? You probably shoved it upside ur nosehole to stop the bleeding, or Dad rammed it down for cakehole cuz u wuz snoring soooo loud!!!!! Or maybe that little old American lady ate it while packing her plastic bags? How annoying that plastic thingie would be. Klaas you could've yelled: BEK HOUWE!!! So take it easy for a day, then yes hit the mountains, sounds good to me, at least better than walking on pavement. And that sun,wow, what an awesome sight that must've been, while the moon still there. Ok u2 have a good, relaxing day, check the end of the world out and I love u2 around the freshly sanded table. And quit eating rotdogs and beans nuked, like hello, there has to be other GOOD food.
trish
ps. hi thea{s}