Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day 9- Tuesday-Logroño-Najera 604km left

Wow, a 29.4 km hike today!!!! Seems impossible
I woke up at around 5:40. We were not allowed to leave until 6 am! I just layed in bed, because I did not feel that well. The night before I have drunk 9 cokes, probably not smart. I sat by the toilet just in case I had to puke, but I didn´t, so I packed up all my stuff and we were off by 6:10!! The earliest so far. After yesterdays 27 km hike today seemed impossible, we were so wiped after yesterday. I was really regreating today, but once we got on the trail it wasn´t that bad. Todays hike was kinda boring though, most of it was beside the highway, so we had to put up with all the loud noises. One cool thing was all the big truck drivers were honking and waving at us, one yelled "Buen Caminooooooooooo!!!!" We only made 3 stops today, one for breakfast, one just for the heck of it, and one because dad and I needed something to eat for lunch. The weather was getting hotter and still is. It is around 30 degrees right now, not that bad, but tomorrow will be hotter. Mrs. Ewalds heel is still not doing good, she is moaning and groaning all the time, i´m going to start calling her Moana. So, my Spanish lessons have not really started yet, haven´t really talked to my Spanish friend. The Norwegian guy has a blister on his toe. And that is about it.
Most of you probably don´t know about the Love/Hate relationship towards a city. You love the city because it either means a rest or breakfast or a Alberquerque. But after walking on nice soft gravel you absolutely hate the pavement, it is like walking on coals. If you ever walk the Camino, you will understand.
There is this guy on the Camino who reminds my dad and I of My brother in-law Jason. Same shape, same legs, same face, same camera, same speed, and same hat. I have a picture of him, I will post it when I get the chance. Laura you will laugh at how similar he looks. Well anyways, I am going to let dad post for a few minutes, and then you can all read this. Thanks for reading
It is amazing how your mental state can change within a few hours. The first two hours today were miserable. my knee bothered me, even though I had put a brace on it. Then we had breakfast. A good cup of coffee and what they call A Spanish omelet, eggs with potatoes mixed in on a baguette and thig just got better fromm there. The pain was gone, the worldlooked bright and suddenly it was no longer a long hike, but a stroll in the park. Before we knew it we arrived in Najera. And there was no pain today. Admission to the hostel was by donation today. One room with 70 pilgrims, but who cares, we have earplugs. They are an absolute necessity. After we got our bed, numbers 42 and 44 Jakob and I wanted to have some ice cream, but the stores were closed so we had to settle for a beer and a coke. Too bad :).
It is a lazy day for Jakob and me, we don´t have to cook ord do shopping(s) it is the ladies´ turn, all we have to do is dishes.
As we aer on the trail for a longer time we get to know the routine better. There is no point in rushing to the showers, you´re better off waiting for an hour or so that way you can avaoid the crowds. So my shower is coming up soon.
Tomoorow should be a breeze, only 21 km. I am beginning to enjoy this daily walk in God´s creation. It is beautiful and mostly peaceful. and we take it one step at a time. Until tomorrow

Jakob and Klaas

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning (in Smithers) We have sunshine in this variable forecast.
Interesting letter again...truck drivers; city walk; 9 cokes~you must have been really dehydrated!
I'm amazed how well all of you are doing...a bit concerned about Thea/Moana though. Oh, a big cloud is coming over the Hudson Bay Mt :-(
stay cool, gloria

Anonymous said...

Hey broer en neef
Blij te lezen dat het jullie nog allebeide goed gaat en het zo naar jullie zin hebben daar in het verre en warme en droge spanje.Hoop tegen de tijd dat jullie hier zijn dat je het weer wat je daar hebt mee neemt want het is hier nu nat nat en nog eens nat in de krant staat dat er een europeze Moesson aan de gang is.Nou drink niet te veel cola wissel het eens af met red bull is ook lekker.
eilko

Jason said...

I'm still laughing at your description of the 'Jason' guy...can't wait to see pics! Glad you guys are still having an enjoyable time. At least part of the family is enjoying summer weather somewhere in this world! Cheers!~Laura

Anonymous said...

hey! i really miss you guys and cant imagine how much older Jakob is going to be when he gets back (the experience and all). sounds like you 2 are getting a bit overwhelmed by the long trek, but that seems to be passing already. just remember how excited you were, walking to town and around seymour to my house for tea. well i love you guys and i hope you will continue to enjoy the amazing creation that surrounds you every day! o and Jakob, lay off on the coke, you'll spend all you money on it!!
love Danielle (skooks says hi)